Re: [Pkg-cryptsetup-devel] loadkeys in early userspace (using initramfs-tools)

On Tue, January 9, 2007 15:20, Tim Dijkstra said:
> Just like cryptsetup the uswsusp package needs to interact with the
> user via the keyboard in early userspace.
> I found out that cryptsetup already solved the problem in its
> initramfs-{hook,script}. To not duplicate your work wouldn't it be
> better to split that functionality of and put it in the initramfs-tools
> package?
>
> What do you think?

I discussed adding loadkeys to initramfs-tools earlier and the
initramfs-tools maintainer disagreed (which is why I implemented it
directly in cryptsetup).

I'm not opposed to a shared solution at all, but I suggest you check with
the initramfs-tools maintainer (see bugs 337663 and 376393 for reference).
Perhaps he is of another opinion now that at least two different initramfs
users need the keymap.

One solution would be to change initramfs-tools to allow other
initramfs-using packages to specify that they need a localized keymap so
that it can be conditionally included in the initramfs image.

This could be done e.g. by including a per-package file such as
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d/{cryptsetup,uswsusp} which contains the
line KEYMAP=y (this would also be flexible enough to allow other
customizations in the future).

This would also allow users to specify that they want the keymap to be
included even if there is no package which needs it (by creating such a
file themselves).

--
David Härdeman