Re: Let's vote ... (Was: kernel firmwares: GR proposal)

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 10:56:58PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:03:14AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Steve's resolution was proposed two weeks ago, this one was proposed one
> > > week ago. [...]
> > Yes, but i discussed this with Manoj the yesterday, where he said that :
> >   1) If Steve was to retire his proposal, all the amendments will have to be
> >   reproposed as standalone GRs, which will reset the discussion period.
> >   2) He didn't see the proposals as separate, as i am proposing here.
>
> Ah, I see what you're getting at. If the release team thinks going ahead with
> this is the right approach, I'm happy to go along with that, including deferring
> my GR stuff.
>
> AFAICS none of the release team have seconded that proposal though? I don't
> think I've seen Manoj's thoughts on whether that proposal will require a 3:1
> supermajority or has any other flaws either.

Andreas Barth was part of the first circle of people consulted on it and as
such i guess co-autored it. I think Steve disagrees on rushing this, but
didn't seem to be opposed to it, not sure.

Manoj commented on irc that it did not need a 3:1 majority, as it didn't
modify the Social Contract or DFSG. I guess it would be good for it to obtain
a very large majority though, which it probably will.

> > Manoj was of the opinion that the RMs have the power to decide this all by
> > themselves, but it was my understanding that they where searching the
> > legitimacy of a GR vote in order to do so.
>
> Manoj? RMs?

Yes, it would be good for you to comment on this directly.

> > But again, it is not because we vote this one, that we will suddenly stop
> > working on solving the issue, and if we solve it all or at least a part, so
> > much the better.
>
> Hear, hear.

The qlogic firmwares where accepted into non-free yesterday, and Wouter is
doing good work, but i doubt we will have everything settled for etch.