Re: ABI handling for linux-2.6

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 10:39:59PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> 1. Alter the NEW handling for kernel (and out of tree modules) packages:
>
> - Add some kind of auto-hinting (if this is technically possible) to
>   automatically process kernel packages and co.

The following automatic or semi automatic mechanisms was proposed by me
to parts of the ftp team and declined:

- Import the whole override table at once. This was possible until the
  override cleaning was enabled.
- Disable override checks for the source package. Not possible because
  of the political decision that every package needs overrides.
- Add some sort of automatic mode to lisa which includes them.

> - Grant ftp-assistant rights to someone from the kernel team, who will
>   process these packages only.

This moves the problem over to the availability of this person.

> 2. Remove the ABI information from the package file names, possibly even
> renaming the linux-image packages to linux-image-2.6-arch-flavor to
> avoid NEW runs even on new minor releases.

This is a rather rude change but will help against the problem.

Bastian

--
Behind every great man, there is a woman -- urging him on.
		-- Harry Mudd, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3