Re: Draft of documenting the ide-generic problem

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 18:43, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> I have startet a wiki page to document the ide-generic problem with the
> Linux kernel (and thus the ramdisk tools as well). The page is here:
> http://wiki.debian.org/LinuxKernelIdeProblem

I am not completely sure that ide-generic really is needed. I now know it
is not for my Toshiba Satellite A40 laptop (piix).

From: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=352753;msg=69 [1]
! I guess this shows why ide.agent is needed (to load ide-disk, ide-cd,
! ...) , although my case does _not_ show why that script should need to
! include ide-generic. Guess we need other people testing to show the need
! for this.

At first it _seemed_ ide-generic was needed, but more careful testing
showed it actually is not. I have just confirmed this by renaming the
ide-generic driver and regenerating the initrd: the system booted just
fine.

So, it may be a good idea to ask people who've reported issues in the past
to do specific tests using current kernel, udev and initrd generators to
check if ide-generic really is needed.

[1] This BR is already linked from the wiki; maybe for the wrong reasons
    (though I think it is relevant)