Re: suspend2-patch in forthcoming Etch?

On 11/30/06 04:58:18PM +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 04:13:39PM +0100, Andre Massing wrote:
> > maximilian attems wrote:

> > > no it is not accepted upstream, push nigel to submit upstream.
> > >
> >  What does this exactly mean? Must Nigel submit it to upstream? AFAIK (at
>
> yes, debian does not include third party patches
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernelPatchAcceptanceGuidelines
> Xen und Vserver are evident "enterprise ready" exceptions ;)

No offense to anyone involved but I've had a lot more success using the
suspend2 patches on my notebook than I've had getting Xen to work. I can
understand the desire to maintain as few external patches as necessary,
especially considering that Nigel will likely keep his patches updated
against the current kernel.org release while Etch will have 2.6.18 forever,
but the in kernel swsusp sucks and IMO uswsusp isn't quite there yet so if
Etch is to officially support suspend to RAM and/or disk then suspend2
should definitely be reconsidered. If suspension isn't something that
matters for the Etch release then I guess it doesn't matter which method is
included.

Jim.