Re: initramfs-utils and LVM ?

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 11:14:04AM +0100, maximilian attems wrote:

> > The scripts that come with debian support (or at least supported at
> > that time) only encrypting the volumes inside an LVM separately.
>
> please explain what you mean by aboves sentence.
> afaik cryptoroot on top of a lvm is supported as well as
> lvm on top of luks.

Well, at the time when I wrote my script, the problem was that
debian's initramfs scripts supported

  Disk Partition -> LVM -> Logical Volume -> LUKS -> root file system

while I needed

  Disk Partition -> LUKS -> LVM -> Logical Volume -> root file system
                                -> Logical Volume -> /home

I currently don't remember the details and I didn't keep
that old packages. If I remember correctly, cryptsetup did not come
with it's own scripts, it was part of the mkinitramfs main script.

Meanwhile I have moved my notebooks from debian to ubuntu, same method.

I did not care about the debian or ubuntu scripts, since my own one
worked well until recently. I could not boot anymore after upgrading
to latest ubuntu, because /sbin/vgchange was not included in the
ramdisk automatically anymore. I could easily fix that by installing
it in my hook, but that was the reason to read /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs
and to see that the LVM parts of this script were already removed in
ubuntu and announced to be removed soon in debian. That's why I was
asking.

Now as you mentioned it, I saw that the initramfs script coming with
cryptsetup seems to support LVM inside a LUKS partition.

regards
Hadmut