Re: initramfs-utils and LVM ?

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 09:17:23PM +0100, maximilian attems wrote:

> cryptsetup has it's own set of initramfs hooks that enable crypto root
> based on the in kernel lvm-crypto support aka via luks.
> you want to read man initramfs-tools.

Thanks for the hint. I was reading that skript when I wrote my own
one. Unfortunately the initramfs hooks did not support what I was
looking for. I was in contact with the luks package maintainers.

The scripts that come with debian support (or at least supported at
that time) only encrypting the volumes inside an LVM separately.

In contrast, I wanted to encrypt the whole LVM volume in one luks
volume and hide it's volume structure, and to require only a single
password and luks mount step. It works pretty well, there's just one
big luks volume on the disk, and all partitions including root is
hidden inside this LVM. This also reduces overhead, because you don't
have to cope with the encryption when adding new logical volumes.

regards
Hadmut