Re: Scheduling linux-2.6 2.6.18-3

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 02:10:56AM +0000, Oleg Verych wrote:
> Hallo, Frederik.
>
> On 2006-10-10, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> []
> >
> > As usual, if someone needs more time for pending changes, drop a line.
>
> May i ask, what is general rules to accept changes?
>
> For example .19-rc linux kernel has some valuable changes in drivers,
> that can support more hardware (in my case Realtek gigabit ethernet and
> Intel SATA, all in one box ;) Is it possible to accept some backports ?

It probably is. We never got to hold the discussion about this during the irc
meeting, so i guess once the firmware issue is definitively cleared, we need
to hold a new irc meeting, to fix the rules for that.

That said, in the current state of affairs, we probably need to drop tg3,
acenic, and a couple of GPL sourceless modules from the upcoming 2.6.18 kernel
uploads. Not sure what to do about this, should we hold any kernel uploads
until the second vote which contains the resolution which we wanted is voted
on (presumably 10 days or so from now), upload a pruned kernel, and then
revert the pruning if the second resolution passes, or just ignore the whole
issue ?

To the RMs, will you then now, as you said you would before the vote, allow us
to release a kernel which is in direct contradiction of what the resolution
recently voted upon says ?