Re: proposal: kernel team IRC meeting on Saturday, 30th September 16:00 UTC

Hello,

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 11:42:48AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> (It's an egregious case, because the vast majority of tg3 users don't need
> firmware at all.  Including the firmware in main in order to support
> network installs by the tiny number of users who do need it -- I have heard
> of three such users ever -- can't be considered sufficiently important to
> break the 100% free promise for, can it?  Furthermore, this is a case
> where the kernel team has *regressed* from a previous release.)

on my old workplace, I came across a dozen of DELL poweredge which ALL
needed the firmware to work, guess my face when I wanted to install
sarge on those.

But yes, most tg3 nics do not need the firmware.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--
ENOSIG