Re: proposal: kernel team IRC meeting on Saturday, 30th September 16:00 UTC

Frederik Schueler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to propose an IRC meeting for all kernel team members, to
> discuss where we stand and what we want to do in the future, concerning
> kernel firmwares.

Or, you could get the damn tg3 patches into Debian's kernel already.  It
would prove that you actually are interested in trying to follow the SC,
which would get some of us off your back and back to writing firmware

(It's an egregious case, because the vast majority of tg3 users don't need
firmware at all.  Including the firmware in main in order to support
network installs by the tiny number of users who do need it -- I have heard
of three such users ever -- can't be considered sufficiently important to
break the 100% free promise for, can it?  Furthermore, this is a case
where the kernel team has *regressed* from a previous release.)

Of course, it would be a good idea to come to a common policy on what to
do about material which is technically illegal to distribute.  Perhaps some
members of the kernel team would like to indemnify the rest of Debian and
Debian's users from any future liability which may (if very unlikely things
happen) arise from this distribution.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@fastmail.fm>

Bush admitted to violating FISA and said he was proud of it.
So why isn't he in prison yet?...