Re: Preparing 2.6.17-7

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 03:17:58PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:

> the next 2.6.17 upload, version 2.6.17-7 should become a candidate for
> testing.

> I would like to schedule the upload for Wednesday, Aug. 23.

> amd64 and i386 will go through NEW again, due to the added xen images.

> we have 4 RC bugs left, of which 2 need immediate attention:

> #342246: [ia64 headers] arch/ia64/modules.lds: No such file or directory
> #369517: linux-image-2.6.16-1-alpha-smp: undefined scsi symbols; fails
> to allocate percpu data

The alpha smp kernel didn't work in sarge either.  I would suggest dropping
this flavor until someone steps up to maintain it.  My alphas have always
been UP, so I have no interest in it myself.

> The other two RC bugs concern firmware, and will be addressed after a
> solution for the firmware issue has been found.

> Unfortunately, alpha seems rather unmaintained lately. We cannot support
> it anymore this way, and may remove it in a future upload.

This is a baseless ultimatum; the kernels on alpha are as in as good of
shape as at any time in the etch release cycle.