Re: Etch timeline is unrealistic because non-free firmware is NOT being dealt with

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > ramdisk package list has no support for per-flavour module selection, and you
> > have to end up with stuff like the netboot64 list, which has as sole usage to
> > add the ibm power hypervisor and virtualization modules, all an ugly mess.
>
> Something to improve. No argument for or against your proposal.

I thought I'd respond to this, not because it's the first case of Sven
posting incorrect information to this thread, but because it's one of
the more egrarious.

Quoting debian-installer/build/README:

* 'pkg-lists' has subdirectories for the different image types that list
  udebs that are put on each image. The pkg-lists/*/common files list
  udebs common to all architectures, and the files named by architecture
  (<arch>.cfg) list udebs specific to an architecture. It is also possible
  to include udebs only on a specific subarchitecture by creating a
  directory for the architecture and putting config files for the
  subarchitecture there (<arch>/<subarch>.cfg).

If you take a look at pkg-lists/netboot, you'll find things like:

joey@kodama:~/src/d-i/installer/build/pkg-lists/netboot/arm>l
ads.cfg  netwinder.cfg  nslu2.cfg
joey@kodama:~/src/d-i/installer/build/pkg-lists/netboot/sparc>l
combined.cfg  sparc32.cfg  sparc64.cfg
joey@kodama:~/src/d-i/installer/build/pkg-lists/netboot/mipsel>l
bcm947xx.cfg  cobalt.cfg  r3k-kn02.cfg  r4k-kn04.cfg  sb1-bcm91250a.cfg

In fact, powerpc is the only architecture to use unnecessary hacks like
netboot64, cdrom64, and netboot-apus.

I'd be very happy if someone who cares about powerpc subarches and can read
and understand documentation like the above could clean this up (if such a
person exists).

--
see shy jo