Re: new x86 flavours: -bigmem | -lowlat?

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 02:52:33AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> -bigmem got requested several times with CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y and
>         CONFIG_X86_PAE=y
> 	added it for now in the d-k repository for 686.
> 	there is a pending request for xen too.
> 	also k7 .config will be added

k7 makes no sense. Does there exist any chipset for amd k7 which
supports more than 4GiB?

> -lowlat with CONFIG_PREEMPT=y and CONFIG_HZ=1000 seems more controversial
> 	although i could imagine plenty of happy user of it.
> 	we might just add in the desc "may trigger strange bugs".
> 	the positive flip side is lots of less skips on
> 	multimedia apps like lastfm, totem, ..

Really? I'm a heavy user of DVB hardware and video output and don't need
preemption.

> 	last but not least preempt is supported upstream and set in
> 	default config.

| choice
|         prompt "Preemption Model"
|         default PREEMPT_NONE

It is off per default but set to on in the default configs for ia64,
s390 and x86_64.

Bastian

--
Not one hundred percent efficient, of course ... but nothing ever is.
		-- Kirk, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8