Re: Dropping the amd64-generic flavour

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 12:47:56AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 15 June 2006 00:42, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> > -generic is odd and too long. I am considering to change the naming
> > scheme completely, and call the flavors 2.6.x-y-amd64 and
> > 2.6.x-y-em64t respectively.
>
> So what do you choose if you need a kernel that supports both? Both are
> non-obvious in that case...

Both kernel images run on both CPU families. We do not have (yet) the
need of a 486 style legacy package, as both amd and intel CPUs support
the same instruction set from a kernel point of view. The only real
difference between the flavors is cache alignment.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--
ENOSIG