Re: Dropping the amd64-generic flavour

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 12:42:26AM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> -generic is odd and too long. I am considering to change the naming
> scheme completely, and call the flavours 2.6.x-y-amd64 and
> 2.6.x-y-em64t respectively.

So if you use amd64 now, then what will you use when amd releases an
amd64 architecture chip called k9 that should have a different kernel
than the k8?  Same for em64t.  I imagine the pentium-m derived chips
will prefer a different kernel than the pentium-4 derived chips.  Which
one does em64t apply to then?

Perhaps simply -k8 and -p4 or something would be better, since obviously
they are amd64 kernels, since they are on amd64 architecture.

Len Sorensen