Re: removing 2.4 from etch/sid

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 07:18:11AM -0500, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 05:04:00PM -0500, dann frazier wrote:
> > I believe there's a rough consensus to not ship 2.4 in etch.  Anyone
> > object to a filing of bugs to remove these packages from etch?
> >
> > Developers at DebConf have pointed out to me that removing these
> > packages would help avoid confusion/unnecessary bug reports.
> >
> > The rough consensus was also to continue to support systems for which
> > users have compiled their own 2.4 - if we proceed with this removal,
> > we might ask the release team to explicitly note this in a d-d-a
> > e-mail so that package maintainers do not break 2.4 support if possible.
>
> How do you plan to handle upgrade from sarge for users that are running
> 2.4 kernel ? What should the release note say about that?

We have metapackages in place, which i believe will take charge of upgrading
from the 2.4 to the chosen etch 2.6 kernel. This, as any kernel upgrade, will
need a reboot, which is not without risk, but which we should hopefully have
ironed out all the major problems by the time of the etch release, so it
should be made to be painless (or documented in the release notes).

If the user had installed a 2.4 kernel without using the metapackages, then
his kernel will not be upgraded, as was his express wish, and all is fine for
everybody.