Re: which kernel version for etch?

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 11:46:32PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> Fellow Debian kernel team members,
>
> let's take the recent "bits from the release team"[1] as an opportunity
> to start discussing which kernel version we, the Debian kernel team,
> want Etch to release with.
>
> In these "bits", the release team suggests we have a closer look on
> 2.6.16, which is very likely to get long-term support from upstream.
> To start with, please have a look at the threads starting with [2]
> and [3].

Thank you for these links, I hadn't noticed these threads on my own.

> Considering the current upstream 2.6 development model on one side,
> and Adrian Bunks intention to maintain 2.6.16.x for the next 2-3 years
> on the other side - backporting drivers and other updates like the 2.4
> line is handled -, makes the 2.6.16.x line an ideal candidate for the
> purpose of a release kernel for Etch.

I agree; at this point 2.6.16.x looks ideal.  I stress "at this point"
though; we of course shouldn't make this decision irreversible.
Especially if, as Sven noted, Andrew Morton decides to maintain a .17
or .18 in a similar manner.

--
dann frazier