Re: which kernel version for etch?

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Frederik Schueler wrote:

Considering the current upstream 2.6 development model on one side,
and Adrian Bunks intention to maintain 2.6.16.x for the next 2-3 years
on the other side - backporting drivers and other updates like the 2.4
line is handled -, makes the 2.6.16.x line an ideal candidate for the
purpose of a release kernel for Etch.

The choice looks easy then :-).

One major issue is currently open for 2.6.16: ppc/PrEP support.
Finding a solution for this is a show-stopper, if we want to go the
2.6.16.x path.
The second show-stopper is (IMHO) the missing sparc niagara support,
which was added in 2.6.17-rc.

I guess it should not be too hard to backport. I believe that Fabio did patch in the Niagara support into the Ubuntu kernels even before 2.6.17-rc appeared, so we probably can just leech the patches from there.
I'll discuss it with him.

There is another sparc consideration in play. For a while we've had problems with SMP kernels, which would randomly crash under high load. As this was affecting buildds, it was one of the main reasons for not qualifying sparc as a release arch. Currently the buildds are running 2.6.17-rc1, and James Troup mentioned that he didn't see them crash for a while now with this kernel. If 2.6.17-rc1 indeed turns out to be stable and 2.6.16.x will not (it hasn't been tested yet), that would be one of the strong reasons to prefer 2.6.17 on sparc. At the moment we do not have enough information though.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org