Re: sarge upgrade - linux, grub conflict

On 2006-04-17 Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:09:27PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>>> kernel-package >> 10 uses debconf for the user communication. This
>>> includes the pre and post scripts specified in /etc/kernel-img.conf.
>>> update-grub from grub older than 0.97-3 writes informations to stdout,
>>> which is coupled to debconf and makes it fail.
>> Can't this be worked around by redirecting the output (where does newer
>> update-grub send it to?) or by using db_stop?

> No. Some of the scripts needs debconf.

Hello,
At short glance the respective changes in update-grub seem to be like
this:
-echo -n "Searching for splash image... "
+echo -n "Searching for splash image ... " >&2
i.e. the newer update-grub is simply sending to stderr instead of
stdout.

This afaik could be solved be redirecting stdout to stderr in the
*invocation* of update-grub in the kernel's maintainerscripts.

But I am sure I am missing something important. ;-)
               cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute