Re: sarge upgrade - linux, grub conflict

* Bastian Blank (waldi@debian.org) [060417 11:39]:
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 09:59:55PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:29:04AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> >
> > > For sarge updates of the linux kernels, grub needs to be updated before
> > > linux-image*. Can this be forced by an conflict with older versions? A
> > > dependency is not appropriate.
> > Can you give more detail on why grub needs to be updated first?  I haven't
> > heard anything about this incompatibilty, and would like to understand it
> > before endorsing a versioned conflict; there's a very good chance that a
> > versioned conflict with grub would force removal, not upgrade, of the
> > bootloader.

> kernel-package >> 10 uses debconf for the user communication. This
> includes the pre and post scripts specified in /etc/kernel-img.conf.
> update-grub from grub older than 0.97-3 writes informations to stdout,
> which is coupled to debconf and makes it fail.

I would *really* hope you are a bit more careful about such changes. We
require all packages in etch to be installable with the core sarge tools
(whether the tools are dpkg or grub or ...). Can't the kernel packages
detect whether they have the sarge or the etch version of grub, and
behave acordingly?

Cheers,
Andi
--