Re: pending linux-2.6 changes

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Bastian Blank wrote:

The whole linux-kbuild stuff only provides any gain if it is build
seperately. This way this package is built natively for the target
architecture.

Bastian

I still don't see a clear reason why this is required. I see that if you are cross-compiling, then there is a problem, because the files which you'll build with HOSTCC on the host machine are going to have wrong architecture, and cannot go into the archive. My question is why are you cross-compiling at all (and which arch). Of course, it is nice to be able to help slow arches, but if you are building stuff in the special cross-compiling environment on your machine, and then upload the resulting packages to the archive, this is not a good idea (and, as I understand, is frowned upon by ftp-masters). The reason if simple: if the native build on the buildds is never performed, there is a fair chance that it will fail when a security update is required. How your does your scheme account for that?

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org