Re: pending linux-2.6 changes

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 09:44:15AM -0800, Jurij Smakov wrote:
>                                               My question is why are you
> cross-compiling at all (and which arch).

i386, s390 and m68k.

> cross-compiling at all (and which arch). Of course, it is nice to be able
> to help slow arches, but if you are building stuff in the special
> cross-compiling environment on your machine, and then upload the resulting
> packages to the archive, this is not a good idea (and, as I understand, is
> frowned upon by ftp-masters).

This is the responsibility of the architecture maintainers. And at least
m68k decided that they can't build the kernels native.

>                               The reason if simple: if the native build on
> the buildds is never performed, there is a fair chance that it will fail
> when a security update is required. How your does your scheme account for
> that?

The same assumption that above applies. For sarge it was clear, the
packages are built by hand.

Bastian

--
Immortality consists largely of boredom.
		-- Zefrem Cochrane, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8