Re: Modules packaging policy - call for discussion

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 02:10:44AM -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:
> That "other stuff" is what I'm interested in, at this point; waldi
> claims to be working on stuff[0].  Waldi, can you please expand upon
> that?

It works properly for linux-nonfree-2.6. For further informations please
take a look at <20060108140134.GA18747@wavehammer.waldi.eu.org>.

Known problems:
- modules may want to have its one version and the software currently
  relays on our versions.
- The linux-headers-UPSTREAMVERSION-ABINAME-ARCH provides needs to be
  changed as it may clash with real packages. I think
  linux-headers-UPSTREAMVERSION-ABINAME-all-ARCH should be okay.

>        It would be nice to automate binary module package creation when
> a new kernel is released.  The last I heard, this was planned by making
> the buildds automatically rebuild packages.

You have to do source uploads anyway.

>                                              If that is the case, who
> will be handling the source packages for those binary module packages?

My proposal was:
- Binary packages with modules sources are maintained by whoever wants
  it.
- Binary modules packages are maintained exclusive by the kernel or
  another team.

Bastian

--
No one may kill a man.  Not for any purpose.  It cannot be condoned.
		-- Kirk, "Spock's Brain", stardate 5431.6