Re: My understanding of the IDE mess, and why it does not make sense to apply the proposed patch

Sven Luther wrote:

>> While I have not thoroughly tested 2.6.15 in this respect, in 2.6.8
>> and 2.6.12 some IDE drivers, on some hardware, absolutely does[0].
>> Maybe this is fixed in 2.6.15/16.
>>
> Do you know why this happened ? I will look at the code in 2.6.12 this
> evening to understand this.

Not sure exactly why, though I will confirm this is indeed correct
tonight.

Actually, the machine I'm at right now has ide-generic in
its /etc/modules file, after piix; I added it there by hand for 2.6.8,
probably (this machine boots off SATA, so IDE is only needed after boot
for the e.g., DVD-RW). Its currently on 2.6.15; I'll check if its still
needed. Be back after a reboot :-(