Re: My understanding of the IDE mess, and why it does not make sense to apply the proposed patch

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Sven Luther wrote:

As quoted from http://wiki.debian.org/LinuxKernelIdeProblem, it is no clear
that ide-generic and via82cxxx to take only one example do exactly the same
thing, and there is no way both could be needed at the same time, and in fact
it is contrary, what do i say, anathema, to both the linux ide layer and the
yaird design document, to even imagine that.

I've independently done the analysis of the IDE layer initialization and can confirm the technical part of Sven's conclusion: ide-generic takes over all hardware interfaces (hwifs), which do not have the 'present' flag set in their corresponding entry in the ide_hwifs[] structure. Normally, the native IDE drivers set this flag during their initialization (via82cxxx does it through the chain of calls ide_setup_pci_device() -> probe_hwif_init_with_fixup() -> hwif_init()). So, if ide-generic is loaded last, it will pick up only the interfaces, which have not been claimed by any native drivers, which is the desired result. Looking at the code I cannot see how the native drivers can depend in any way on the ide-generic being loaded before them.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org