Re: Kernel 2.4 for etch or not

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 01:39:42PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:

> >     Horms made a [2 presentation] about the kernel packaging in debian for LCA
> >     and gave two options: a.) support and backport fixes for 2.4.27 or b.) go
> >     with 2.4.32. Somehow he did not consider the option of dropping 2.4 even
> >     if he calls it legacy ;-)
> >
> >     Besides technical reasons (security fixes handled by upstream, some driver
> >     updates and very few new ones) I think we should not forget that most
> >     people have no idea that 2.4.27 in debian is far closer to 2.4.32 than to
> >     .27, and therefore will think debian ships an outdated 2.4 kernel. So I
> >     think we should simply go for 2.4.3x, if it is sensible to support 2.4 in
> >     etch at all.
>
> We could ship 2.4.3x in a 2.4.27 named package :)

For m68k I'd be interested in having an updated 2.4 source in etch. The last
builds of kernel-patch-m68k already contained a patch which took m68k to
2.4.30 or whatever was current at the time. The two Atari Falcon/CT60
machines (our fastest buildds currently) work great with a patched 2.4.30,
I'd like to get that packaged. Amiga's work fine with 2.6, except for the
keyboard layout, but that will be probably fixed soon. (Some) Macs are
reported to work with 2.6 also, unfortunately my Mac has not crashed in two
months, so I could not try for myself yet... with an updated 2.4 kernel we
might be able to get rid of 2.2.25(!) for m68k, the first step of going 2.6
on m68k all the way :-)

Christian