Re: [Pkg-uml-devel] UML kernel define/config and arch/subarch

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 11:21:34PM +0100, Mattia Dongili wrote:
Hello,

> as some of you already knows I'm trying to add the "um" subarch to build
> UML kernels.

only x86 and amd64 are supported. I am still working on ppc and no other
(sub)arch are under construction

> I'm having some problems in forcing the kernel build with ARCH=um so I
> suppose I'm missing something:
> is arch/subarch support fully in place?
> or is it just not appropriate for an 'um' subarch (not what I've been
> told on irc)?
>
> AFAICS $(ARCH) is used both in
> dpkg-architecture -a'$(ARCH)' -qDEB_BUILD_ARCH
> and friends and in
> make-kpkg --arch '$(ARCH)' ...
>
> and this is definitely not helpful for UML as it needs to build with
> make-kpkg --arch um
>
> Any suggestion?

make mrproper
make defconfig ARCH=um
make menuconfig ARCH=um
make-kpkg --arch=um kernel_image

that is all!
From 2.6.9 (I think) um is fully introducedd in the kernel-repos, so that
you can only choose what arch to build the kernel.
Let's say that it is working for the 80% also on ppc, or better ARCH=um
SUBARCH=powerpc

I hope I did not misunderstand your doubt :((

Cheers

SteX
--
Stefano Melchior, GPG key = D52DF829 - <stefano.melchior@openlabs.it>