Re: bits from the release team

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 12:23:31AM -0200, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
> 1. http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/3/55

> 	Perhaps the idea of maintain a kernel with other distros is not bad,
> if Ubuntu shows up as a candidate, I would like to add Progeny, Linspire,
> Xandros, "DCC Alliance Fan Club" and also other Debian Derivatives. I really
> don't know if it is possible to mix RH, Debian, SuSE, Slackware and
> other distros to maintain the same kernel, but certainly should be possible
> to get all Debian (and Debian based/derivative) playing together. :-)

The biggest obstacle to this is that different distributions have different
and contradictory requirements for what ships in the kernel.  For Debian,
the obvious requirement is that everything we ship in main meets the DFSG;
this is a requirement that is not shared by Ubuntu, for instance, which
means any collaboration on kernels between those two distros has to allow
for different bits being stripped out at the time of source package
generation.

It would certainly be nice to see improvements in kernel collaboration, and
I believe it is possible, we just have to be honest with ourselves about the
difficulties involved.