Re: bits from the release team

On 01/03/2006 10:13 PM, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 06:43:28PM -0500, Brian Nelson wrote:
>
>>md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

>>>OTOH, old kernel are buggy and out of date wrt modern hardware, and we
>>>lack the manpower to backport for years fixes and new features RHEL-style.
>>>Do you have a better solution?
>>
>>Why don't we use RHEL's kernel, or collaborate with them to maintain a
>>stable kernel tree, or something?
>
> Why doesn't debian really collaborate with ubuntu on the kernels, which would
> be more natural. Debian use mostly the mainline upstream kernels, which is
> where everything goes back in anyway, so ...

	Just my two cents... :)

	Sometime ago, Adrian Bunk [1]raise the question about a kernel stable
tree in LKML, after a lot of discussion (and AFAIK no good resolution), a lot
of ideas travel on the list (also in the midle of flamewar), ideas like "try
to not break the entire userland" and "let the distro take care of having a
stable kernel".

1. http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/3/55

	Perhaps the idea of maintain a kernel with other distros is not bad,
if Ubuntu shows up as a candidate, I would like to add Progeny, Linspire,
Xandros, "DCC Alliance Fan Club" and also other Debian Derivatives. I really
don't know if it is possible to mix RH, Debian, SuSE, Slackware and
other distros to maintain the same kernel, but certainly should be possible
to get all Debian (and Debian based/derivative) playing together. :-)

	If you give it a quick look (and a quick try), we will have more
users testing the same kernel, which means more feedback, we will have
more developers working to get it stable and working to get it secure.
Probably even upstream get benefits from this model and sounds like a very
good way to work together, even to try to integrate outside patches and
backporting things. =)

	Kind regards,

- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)