Re: more current kernels for sarge in volatile?

On Thursday 29 December 2005 13:04, Sven Luther wrote:
> To add to that the fact that with a minimal rebuild of support tools
> (yaird and backported udev for me), the etch/sid/experimental kernels
> install just fine on a sarge system. I run all my sarge systems like
> this, and it works just fine.

Problem is that the upgrade of a system to a new udev is _not_ trivial and
those kind of problems are not something users expect when upgrading a
stable release, even if from volatile.

It is a different thing if a user chooses to upgrade himself using
unofficial backports (even if they are provided by the kernel team).

Also, using 2.6.12/14/15 in Sarge (volatile) IMO means that the kernel
team will need to commit to maintaining that version with regard to
security updates, just as for 2.6.8.
Continuously making the latest kernel available for Sarge through volatile
IMO is not an option, unless maybe done through a separate repository
kernel-volatile with all due warnings of "use at your own risk" attached.

I think the whole issue of introducing a new kernel in Sarge is being
hopelessly underestimated here.