Re: Status of d-i kernel transition for 2.6.14

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 01:06:09PM -0500, Rod Ross wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:48:27PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> >

> >>powerpc  2.6.14-2/2.4.27     2.6.12-1/2.4.27                   2.6/2.4.27
> >>

> >Fixed, now the config has 2.6.14-2, i had added it in the gtkdi branch, but
> >forgot to commit the sid-di one. 2.4.27 should be used only for apus and
> >nubus, but nubus has no d-i support yet, and apus has 2.6.14-2 kernels now,
> >and will thus be dropping the 2.4.27 apus kernels. Will try to migrate
> >apus to
> >2.6.14 next week, but there is extensive .config and .udeb modules needed,
> >so
> >any help there is welcome, as i am really too busy to do debian work until
> >january.
> >
> >There are no 2.4.27 generic powerpc kernels in etch/sid anymore, or there
> >should not be.
> >
> >Friendly,
> >
> >Sven Luther
> >

> I don't know why but there are files in 2.6.* source marked as nubus.

Huh ?

> What needs to be done for 2.6 kernels to work on nubus ( is it possible

Someone with interest time and hardware to work on it.

> or is size limiting ) and then please tell me which list  to discuss the
> boot loader or what program is possible to become standard debian boot
> loader for install  ( use debian-boot list ? ) as these two are
> imperative for debian ( d-i) installation on nubus ppc. Or are you even
> interested in my testing such hardware as I know it is much work ?

Well, nubus uses the mklinux bootloader for now, which is none-free
binary-only, and in general a hacky solution. Emile shows some promise too,
and it shares code with the mac/m68k/nubus effort, so it is the best idea.

There is an emile project somewhere which probably has mailing lists, and
there is a pmac-nubus project (on sourceforge i think), which has a mailing
list altough not a very active one, and there where discussions on
debian-powerpc about this in the past.