Re: [kernel] r4856 - dists/trunk/linux-2.6/debian/bin

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 12:49:49PM +0100, Maximilian Attems wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 12:39:42PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 04:55:55PM +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > can we put that patch in?
> >
> > No, it is NOT possible to build things against this package.
>
> baah, it is.
> please tell what is breaking because of the asm link?
>
> > > would unbreak klibc.
> >
> > klibc is a userspace part, not a kernel modul. The headers packages are
> > there to build kernel modules against.
>
> klibc was almost included into linux upstream,
> but missed somehow the freeze before the 2.6 release.
>
> it is usperspace, but it's build is not polished as described
> in its klibc/README.
> it needs a link to a fresh kernel source.
> linux-headers is nicely providing those.
>
> if you send me a patch that build klibc against linux-kernel-headers,
> your revert is fine until then klibc needs to be updated for different
> archs and needs unfucked linux-headers.

It is reather trivial to do som i had not the time, but klibc is kindof your
package, so i guess the right thing would be to work with the debian-glibc
folk who maintain linux-kernel-headers, to upgrade them to a newer version
than the one in sid currently (2.6.13-rcsomething), or to use the headers of
the kernel-libc project, which i guess is also the klibc stuff.

I don't think loosing everyones time with ugly hacks, instead of fixing it the
right way is a good long term solution, and you clearly have time to speak
about this, so why not file a bug report against linux-kernel-headers, and get
them to speak to us about this ? I spoke with Jeff bailey and maybe even gotom
about this a bit on irc on #debian-glibc when i tried this, but it just need
someone taking things in hand.

The fact that klibc is not polished or whatever is just a poor excuse, as i
provided you with all the needed code for klibc to build against l-k-h,
provided l-k-h is fixed, just follow up on my discussion with them and get
things moving.

If i had time i would have followed up with this, but like it is i will not
have time for any debian work until early january, so ...