Re: irc meeting regarding kernel status d-i RC3

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:29:22 +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

> On Saturday 05 February 2005 23:01, maximilian attems wrote:
>> 2.6.10 needs to be considered if time frame shifts.
>> 1/2 a year of kernel dev resulting in better hardware support
>> (acpi newer intel board) should not be thrown away too easily.
>
> I came across #291884 today, which blocks the unloading of unused
> (ide-)modules during a boot from initrd.
> The explanation for this is in [1].

This explanation is not fully valid for debian kernels.  2.6.8 contains a
patch to specifically allow ide modules to be unloaded; it is not all that
safe, however.  2.6.10 used to contain the patch, but Christoph dropped
it.  If it were to become an RC issue, it could easily be re-added.

> I was wondering if this isn't something that reduces the desirability of
> 2.6.10 for Sarge.

It wouldn't be.