Re: kernel abiname transition and security updates status

Joey Hess wrote:
> Before we can release d-i rc3 we need all the kernels updated with at
> least some security fixes, notably the ones that change the kernel
> module ABI, and we need to update things to reflect the new kernel
> "abiname". Here's my understanding of the current status of that:

Update again, it's now been about 1 month since my first mail.

alpha
	Kernel updated, but not yet in testing; udebs not yet
	updated (I thought they were before, but was wrong).

amd64
 	Updated, but I'm not tracking this arch.

arm
 	No abiname; not updated.

 	[At the moment this is one of the arches that I'd consider
 	releasing d-i rc3 without it being updated for the kernel
 	security fixes, since it has no abiname, and since the daily
 	builds have been down since October.]

hppa
 	2.4 now updated, but we dropped it.

 	2.6 has abiname; still not updated, update is in kernel team svn.

 	[This is likely to block d-i rc3 until the new hppa 2.6 kernels
 	with the new abiname are available.]

i386
 	2.4 and 2.6 updated to -2 abiname; debs in testing; udebs updated.

ia64
 	2.4 and 2.6 updated to -2 abiname; debs in testing; udebs updated.

m68k
 	No abiname; debs updated and in testing (for 2.4; dunno about
	2.2); udebs updated.

mips
	No abiname. Kernel updated and in testing; udebs updated.

mipsel
 	No abiname. Kernel updated and in testing; udebs updated.

powerpc
  	No abiname. 2.4 not updated. 2.6 updated, debs in testing;
	udebs updated.

 	[If powerpc 2.4 is not updated with the security fixes soon, I
 	will probably not let it block a d-i rc3 release.]

s390
	Just fixed; debs not yet in testing; udebs updated.

sparc
	2.6 updated to -2 abiname; 2.4 not updated (except in svn);
 	2.6 debs not yet in testing (due to RC #288180); udebs updated.

 	[This is likely to block d-i rc3 until the new sparc 2.4 kernels
 	with the new abiname are available.]

So hppa and sparc are the only remaining blockers from the debian-kernel
side for the d-i release, though powerpc 2.4 and arm also still really
need updates.

And on the d-i side we still need to update the alpha udebs, update
rootskel and base-installer and the build system to use the new abinames
where appropriate, update debian-cd, and make sure it all works.

--
see shy jo