Re: kernel abiname transition and security updates status

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 04:58:10PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > I uploaded new 2.6.8 kernel-images for m68k a week ago, but I did not make it
> > urgent...: Too young, only 7 of 10 days old
> > For 2.4.27 I am waiting for the latest kernel-source to be released before I
> > build new images. This is supposed to happen today/tomorrow? I should be able
> > to get those images ready over the weekend then, and I'll try to remember to
> > make it more urgent...
>
> I don't think we actually use the 2.6 m68k kernels in d-i yet, only 2.4
> (and 2.2 for some aubarches).

Oh, right, I forgot we are stuck in the middle ages. But you don't need an
updated 2.2 with abichanges so they continue to work with new d-i releases?
I guess I haven't grasped the whole abichange thingy.

> > I have no idea about the abichanges, m68k uses no abiname? Is that a problem?
>
> The downside of not includeing an abiname in the package name is that
> past d-i releases will break once the updated kernels and udebs reach
> testing.

So they not yet released d-i "releases" break on the most popular arch of
the early nineties. Does anybody care? If there were abinames in the m68k
package (-1, -2, ... added to the package name?), would we create a new
package for every abichange? Doesn't that contradict the plan of d-kernel to
reduce the number of kernel-packages?

> > Is there anything else m68k has to do, like build new d-i-k-i-m68k packages?
> > Anything else I am missing?
>
> We will need to rebuild that package once the new kernel is uploaded,
> yes.

If that is all (somebody else builds the d-i kernel package for m68k), we
should be ready within a week (keeping fingers crossed that none of my
hardware breaks...)

Christian