Preparing 2.6.15 - i386: drop M386 support in favour of M486?

Hi all,

we should start making 2.6.15-rc ready in experimental, so we can again
upload the final version the same day upstream releases, and maybe do it
in time through the NEW queue this time.

But before that, every arch maintainer needs to check their configs and
maybe rediff some (now commented out) patches.

For the start, the orig tarball for 2.6.15-rc4 is at

http://people.debian.org/~fs/linux-2.6_2.6.14+2.6.15-rc4.orig.tar.gz

I have the amd64 configs in sync, and would like to upload a first try
to experimental.

Unfortunately, I cannot upload amd64 binaries to the archive yet, so I
worked on the i386 parts too. This leads us to the following problem:

The 386 flavour used to have CONFIG_M386 set, wich currently fails to
build due to missing CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG (which is !M386), which in turn
is needed for example by ACPI.

Currently the 386 flavour breaks after some warnings about this.

I wonder why we don't drop M386 support at all, and switch to M486?
The alternative would be investigate the changes and fix all concerned
code, which I sincerely don't have the time to do.

Current post-sarge kernels won't work on "real i386" systems anyway,
since we dropped x86-i486_emu.dpatch.

So, what shall we do?

Best regards
Frederik Schueler