Re: [D-I] Supporting 2.6.14 kernels in base-installer

Sven Luther wrote:
> Also, we have perl-base in base, or used to at least, would yaird not be able
> to depend on perl-base only ?

yaird uses at lest the following perl modules which are not currently
present in perl-base but are in perl:

./Image.pm:use File::Copy;
./Pack.pm:use File::Temp;

On the one hand, perl-base exists to provide the perl modules needed by
packages in the Debian base system, so if a package like debconf or so
needs a specific module, it can be moved from perl to that package. If
yaird becomes part of the base system, or close enough to be needed to
fit on Debian netinst CDs (which is pretty much the same thing), then
adding the modules it needs to perl-base should not be a problem. perl's
maintainer is very helpful about these things in my experience.

On the other hand, the use of File::Copy is trivially replaced by a
system() call. I'd be careful replacing the File::Temp usages with
something else though.

It also uses HTML::Template and Parse::Recdescent that are in separate
packages. From what I can see of the config files, using
Parse::Recdescent to parse them is overkill; it should be possible to
write a parser by hand pretty easily. The use of HtmlTemplate is quite
strange.

--
see shy jo