Team-maintaining yaird independently from the kernel (Was: [D-I] Supporting 2.6.14 kernels in base-installer)

Hi,

The below was sent to the kernel team and others. Please read and
comment on debian-kernel@lists.debian.org mailinglist.

It seems both yaird and initramfs-tools share similar confusion: They
are tagged as being maintained by the kernel team, but in reality it is
more fair to say that they are maintained separately: Sure, the
maintainance of both packages are coordinated with the kernel team, to
the extend of overlap of maintainers between the projects. But
maintainance also overlap with upstream development - and upstream
developers are missing out when addressing the kernel team.

Interest in yaird does not necessarily mean interest in all of the
kernel maintainance.

so I will create a separate project for yaird, and next release of
yaird for Debian shall be separately team-maintained. All members of
the kernel team are off course welcome in this separate team (as are
anyone else!). The goal is minimizing noise, not avoiding teamwork.

I suggest considering the same for initramfs-tools, as I noticed that
also there you needed to cc a bunch of other people than those targeted
by the logic of "Who is maintaining these tools? Ah, the kernel team
maintains it all".

Sven at some point declared that he would not be interested in joining
more projects - I sincerely hope that he will join this one anyway:
Take this as an explicit invitation, Sven - I appreciate your work with
yaird very much, and wouldn't want to loose you by this move!

 - Jonas

Begin forwarded message: