Re: Issue with Debian Kernels and SELinux

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Erich Schubert wrote:
[..]
Stephen Smalley of NSA SELinux fame has tracked it down to the
following:

Ok, I've tracked down the cause of this problem in the Debian kernels:
they are disabling CONFIG_SECURITY_NETWORK, which disables all of the
LSM socket hooks.  Thus, SELinux never gets a chance to classify the
socket inodes as socket objects via its selinux_socket_* hook functions,
and SELinux can no longer distinguish them from sock files at
d_instantiate time because of the removal of the i_sock field in 2.6.12
(which we didn't view as a problem at the time because we had the socket
hooks to address the issue).

I'd suggest asking the Debian kernel maintainers to entertain the notion
of enabling CONFIG_SECURITY_NETWORK.  If they are being driven by
performance considerations (and have actual data to show that the mere
presence of the LSM hooks is having real impact, even with selinux=0),
then possibly CONFIG_SECURITY_NETWORK could be tightened up to only
apply to the hooks that are on the critical path (e.g. sock_rcv_skb is
likely the largest concern).

This config change was committed to svn and will be included in the upcoming 2.6.14-3 release of Debian kernel packages.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org