Issue with Debian Kernels and SELinux

Hello Debian Kernel Maintainers,
There is another issue with SELinux on current Debian kernels.
Basically, the selinux stuff for sockets is not working as intended, but
reporting some odd security violations. I couldn't reproduce them with
my own kernels, so I sent the Debian .config "upstream".
Stephen Smalley of NSA SELinux fame has tracked it down to the
following:

> Ok, I've tracked down the cause of this problem in the Debian kernels:
> they are disabling CONFIG_SECURITY_NETWORK, which disables all of the
> LSM socket hooks.  Thus, SELinux never gets a chance to classify the
> socket inodes as socket objects via its selinux_socket_* hook functions,
> and SELinux can no longer distinguish them from sock files at
> d_instantiate time because of the removal of the i_sock field in 2.6.12
> (which we didn't view as a problem at the time because we had the socket
> hooks to address the issue).
>
> I'd suggest asking the Debian kernel maintainers to entertain the notion
> of enabling CONFIG_SECURITY_NETWORK.  If they are being driven by
> performance considerations (and have actual data to show that the mere
> presence of the LSM hooks is having real impact, even with selinux=0),
> then possibly CONFIG_SECURITY_NETWORK could be tightened up to only
> apply to the hooks that are on the critical path (e.g. sock_rcv_skb is
> likely the largest concern).

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
        The best things in life are free: Friendship and Love.       //\