I2O v dpt_i2o & #328534

Apologies in advance if this post has been directed to the wrong list. If it has been posted incorrectly please let me know and I'll post where directed.

I recently tried to upgrade to 2.6.14 from 2.6.8. When I booted the system it hung.

In the system I have an Adapter 2400a raid card. The card supports 4 drives but presently it has not configured for raid. I had previously accessed the drives by loading:

dpt_i2o and sd_mod and mounting the drives using /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1. dpt_i2o and sd_mod were the only two entries in my /etc/modules file.

After some fiddling it seems that not only were the dpt_i2o drivers loaded but also some drivers that seem to be part of the "I2O subsystem." I removed my dpt_i2o and sd_mod entires and rebooted. The I2O (I2c???) drivers seemed to load with no reported errors.

This seemed to be progress. However, when I attempted to mount the drives at /dev/i2o/hda1, etc. I received the error "mount: /dev/i2o/hda1 is not a valid block device". The entries in the /dev/i2o directory seem to correspond with the directions in the FAQ section found at the http://i2o.shadowconnect.com/faq.php#raidaccess website.

There is a bug number #328534 that seems to be related to the difficulties that I am having but I'm not entirely sure that it is the same exact problem as I'm getting a hung system when I try to access the drives via the dpt_i2o module when the I2O modules are loaded but I'm not getting a kernel panic.

I could use some advice on the what is the best course of action:

Should I be using the I2O instead of the dpt_i2o?

If yes, how do I prevent I2O from loading when the system boots?

If there is a way to keep I2O from loading will my dpt_i2o and sd_mod /etc/modules entries allow me to access the drives at /dev/sd?? again?

If development is moving toward I2O and away from dpt_i2o how to I access my drives and get around the
"mount: /dev/i2o/hda1 is not a valid block device" error when I try to mount at /dev/i2o/hd?? ?

If I did indeed bump into a bug should I add this information to
#328534 or should I report this a new bug? If I am to report a bug should against which package should I report?

Again, I am sorry if I'm posting to the wrong list. I'm just not sure what I'm struggling with and since the modules seemed to be involved I'm guessing that I should inform someone who works with the kernel in Debian.

Any tips/hints/direction would be very much appreciated.

Dennis

begin:vcard
fn:Dennis Gesker
n:Gesker;Dennis
org:Alamon Telco, Inc.
adr:;;315 West Idaho Street;Kalispell;MT;59901;USA
email;internet:gesker@alamon.com
title:Manager -- Special Projects
tel;work:(406) 752-8838
tel;fax:(800) 468-2645