kernel-package 10.001 introduced to experimental

Hi,

        This is the first of a series of updates to kernel-package
 that have been planned for a long while now.  This first release
 cleans up the rules file a bit, and make the./debian directory stand
 alone, so one can apt-get source kernel-image-foo andnot need
 kernel-package to regenerate the kernel-image package from th
 sources. It thus clears the decks for modularization of the giant
 monolithic ./debian/rules file, and to be able to finally separate
 out the policy mandated ordering of mandatory targets from the
 implementation.  A more modular rules file shall allow me to delegate
 out responsibility for various bits of the kernel image build
 mechanism to domain experts.

        Also, this upload  incorporates the initrd handling code that
 has seen the light in recent NMU's, with changes: I'll let the
 changelog below speak for itself. I have compiled and am now running
 a yaird initramfs generated by this version of the kernel-package, so
 at least the darn thing works for me.

        The next step I want to undertake is getting rid of the long
 standing RC bug about  the kernel image packages not using debconf;
 this is likely to take several versions to get done right, I
 suspect. Once debconf work is done, I'll continue to modularize and
 allow end users to implement their own replacements for some of the
 modular components of the build system; more on that later.

        manoj

kernel-package (10.001) experimental; urgency=low

  * Bug fix: "doesn't install: Internal Error: Could not find image
    (/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-xxs1500)", thanks to Martin Michlmayr. Well,
    calling kimage vmlinux.srec was breaking the postinst. However, kimage
    does not seem to be used anywhere except in determining the next
    value, namely, kimagesrc -- so I just added .srec to  kimagesrc, and
    thus eliminated the need for hacking the postinst. So the fix was
    earlier in the build process, and not deferred to the postinst.
                                                          (Closes: #333220).
  * Acknowledge the changes made for initrd stuff in the NMU
    series. Thanks to Sven Luther for the work. I have made some changes,
    for example, instead of hard-coding the list of initrd tools one
    considers in the installation phase, now one can set that list by
    editing /etc/kernel-pkg.conf -- and this replaces the hard coded
    list. Of course, the admin at the target location can still over-ride
    that list by editing /etc/kernel-img.con (note, not the same as
    /etc/kernel-pkg.conf above); this makes things slightly more
    flexible. Also, the list of commands does not have to be the fully
    qualified path, the postinst and preinst use the PATH variable to find
    the commands.
  * kernel-img.conf.5: Document the fact that the ramdisk variable can now
    be a space separated list of init ram disk creation commands, which
    need to also support the --supported-host-version and
    --supported-target-version options, just like mkinitrd does. This is
    the list tried at installation time.
  * kernel-pkg.conf.5: Document the fact that one can provide the default
    values for the list by setting INITRD_CMD, but this list can be
    overridden by the one in kernel-img.conf.5. However, the defaults are
    set to a subset of "mkinitrd mkinitrd.yaird mkinitramfs", the subset
    being decided based on the version of the kernel being built, so one
    should refrain from setting this manually -- unless one knows what one
    is doing.
  * kernel/image.postrm, kernel/image.prerm: Added new variable for the
    initrd dependency, and also modified the variable ramdisk to be a
    space separated list of commands, not just a single command.
  * kernel/image.postinst, kernel/image.preinst: Added new variable for
    the initrd dependency, and also modified the variable ramdisk to be a
    space separated list of commands, not just a single
    command. (find_inird_tool): Added function to determine the list of
    viable initrd creation tools present on the target system, and use it
    to select which tool to use for creating the ram fs.
  * Bug fix: "'man make-kpkg' typo: 'thatthis'", thanks to A
    Costa                                                    (Closes: #335316).

 -- Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>  Tue, 25 Oct 2005 04:00:35 -0500

--
All the really good ideas I ever had came to me while I was milking a
cow. Grant Wood