Re: kernel-package uploaded to experimental, please use.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 01:04:01PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i just uploaded kernel-package 9.008.0.experimental.1 to experimental, as a
> test before doing the real unstable upload. I have tested it here locally, and
> it doesn't break anything i have tried, but i would like more widespread
> testing before i do the unstable upload, probably sometime this WE.
>
> Notice that the tests will not fail during the build, but during install of
> the built packages, if they fail, so it is important to install the test
> packages.
>
> What needs testing :
>
>   1) build 2.4.27, 2.6.8, 2.6.12 and 2.6.14-rc4 kernels with it.
>   2) test-install those packages on a 2.4 and a 2.6 kernel.
>   3) report the install lines here, in particular the ones about the ramdisk
>   generating tool i added today, not sure if they will be kept for the final
>   packages or not.
>   4) edit your /etc/kernel-img.conf file to include a ramdisk line :
>   ramdisk= /usr/sbin/initrd-tools /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs
>   and redo the install tests. You may try with some permutation of the above too.
>   5) build custom 2.4 and 2.6.14-rc4 kernels and do the above two tests.
>
> I will try to do some, and report here as a subthread, but as this is rather
> time consuming, i would like help, especially for those tests involving 2.4
> kernels, as i have not run those on powerpc for ages.

I'm pretty sure 2.4 currently FTBFS in sid. Looks like a tool chain
change. I think this occurs on both i386 and powerpc. I haven't tried
others, nor had time to nvestigate.

> On the ramdisk generating tools, initrd-tools and yaird have been uploaded to
> unstable, and initramfs-tools was promised soon, but an upload without the fix
> was made for 0.31. We will see.
>
> On the 2.6.14-rc4 kernel side, we have been working on it, and things show
> promise, powerpc, i386, amd64, m68k, sparc are those i am aware are being
> worked on, and i think Simon Horman did some preliminary hppa work, but this
> leaves s390, alpha, ia64 and arm, and as always mips/mipsel is going its own
> way. Well, i guess waldi will work on s390 in due time, but the situation for
> alpha, arm and ia64 is preocuping.

hppa still needs work. I don't really want to take over hppa, so if
anyone wants to work on this, please feel free.

> So, all in all, i think things work out well, and we may plan for the
> following revised schedule :
>
>   saturday, 22 october 2005 : upload of fixed kernel-package to unstable.
>   sunday, 23 october 2005 : upload of linux-2.6 2.6.13+2.6.14-rc4-1 to experimental

FYI, I will be offline from the 22nd-25th.

--
Horms