kernel-package uploaded to experimental, please use.

Hello,

i just uploaded kernel-package 9.008.0.experimental.1 to experimental, as a
test before doing the real unstable upload. I have tested it here locally, and
it doesn't break anything i have tried, but i would like more widespread
testing before i do the unstable upload, probably sometime this WE.

Notice that the tests will not fail during the build, but during install of
the built packages, if they fail, so it is important to install the test
packages.

What needs testing :

  1) build 2.4.27, 2.6.8, 2.6.12 and 2.6.14-rc4 kernels with it.
  2) test-install those packages on a 2.4 and a 2.6 kernel.
  3) report the install lines here, in particular the ones about the ramdisk
  generating tool i added today, not sure if they will be kept for the final
  packages or not.
  4) edit your /etc/kernel-img.conf file to include a ramdisk line :
  ramdisk= /usr/sbin/initrd-tools /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs
  and redo the install tests. You may try with some permutation of the above too.
  5) build custom 2.4 and 2.6.14-rc4 kernels and do the above two tests.

I will try to do some, and report here as a subthread, but as this is rather
time consuming, i would like help, especially for those tests involving 2.4
kernels, as i have not run those on powerpc for ages.

On the ramdisk generating tools, initrd-tools and yaird have been uploaded to
unstable, and initramfs-tools was promised soon, but an upload without the fix
was made for 0.31. We will see.

On the 2.6.14-rc4 kernel side, we have been working on it, and things show
promise, powerpc, i386, amd64, m68k, sparc are those i am aware are being
worked on, and i think Simon Horman did some preliminary hppa work, but this
leaves s390, alpha, ia64 and arm, and as always mips/mipsel is going its own
way. Well, i guess waldi will work on s390 in due time, but the situation for
alpha, arm and ia64 is preocuping.

So, all in all, i think things work out well, and we may plan for the
following revised schedule :

  saturday, 22 october 2005 : upload of fixed kernel-package to unstable.
  sunday, 23 october 2005 : upload of linux-2.6 2.6.13+2.6.14-rc4-1 to experimental

Depending on success, of the above and 2.6.14 uploads, we may follow up with a
2.6.14 upload to unstable in the weeks following the experimental upload.