Re: yaird error message - HP DL360 Server / Kanotix 04 RC11

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 03:46:30PM -0500, Marek Schneider wrote:
> due to your mail I had today the possibility to run yaird as you
> mentioned below.
> Line 13 of /etc/fstab seems to be however different than it should be
> ---
> 12:    # Added by KNOPPIX
> 13:      noauto,users,exec 0 0
> ---

That looks broken indeed; yaird will decide the fstab cannot
be trusted, and will not generate an initial boot image.

> root@0[knoppix]# yaird --test
> Entries in fstab:
> yaird error: malformed line in /etc/fstab:13 (fatal)

Same thing: this tells you only that you need to fix fstab
in order to get a full test report.

> The problem I have is that I am not able to write MBR when using
> GRUB after installation from CD to HDD- kano mentioned (I hope to understood him correctly) that it can be
> an yaird issue:
> ---
> # mount /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 /mnt/hd
> # grub-install --recheck --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt/hd dev/cciss/c0d0
> /dev/cciss/c0d0 does not have any corrsponding BIOS drive.
> ---

I've seen Grub working on Proliant, but google finds some problems with it.
Search for grub and cciss for further info;  I found this the most clear
description of what to do:

http://nozell.com/blog/archives/2004/05/08/some-tips-to-reinstall-grub-on-an-hp-proliant-server/

> I was only able to install ONLY a lilo es follows (booted from CD)
> ---
> mount /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 /mnt/hd
> mount -o /dev/ /mnt/hd/dev
> chroot /mnt/hd
> mount -t proc none /proc
> mount -t tmpfs none /tmp
> vi /etc/lilo.conf
>      .
>      .
>      boot=/dev/cciss/c0d0
> lilo
> exit reboot
> ---
>
> Please let me know if I could assist you with some further test.

At this point, it's not clear to me exactly what the symptoms are,
and what the cause could be.  So just a first question, and depending
on outcome, we can discuss follow-up experiments.

Could you
* modify /etc/fstab to comment out the broken line 13,
  plus any other broken lines.
* run yaird --debug and yaird --test, and mail the complete output

Regards,
Erik