Re: build of a debian xen kernel

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, schubert@espresto.com wrote:

> I would like to build a Debian Xen Linux kernel... ;-)
> Okay what I want to do:
> - a kernel, that is stable as Debian stable: 2.6.8 (sarge).
> - xen-patches

xen is a new product and highly volatile atm.
if you throw enough money someone will do the pain of the backport
to that ancient kernel you mention.

> For now i've only found a pkg. called 'kernel-patch-xen' in sid, which
> only builds with 2.6.11, wich doesn't exist anymore. The patch won't apply
> without errors an 2.6.8.
that's expected.

> I also tried the new linux-source-2.6.12 from sid with kernel-patch-xen:
> does not apply without errors.
that's a bug of `kernel-patch-xen'.

> I know i could use a vanilla kernel and apply the patches but i thought
> there is a debian way...?!
>
> Does a xen kernel-patch for Debians 2.6.8 exist?
> Or what else do you recommend?

if the kernel is not for a desktop with strange versioned deps on udev or
alsa use latest vanilla.
the xen patch applies and the level of pain is low,
just keep your system up2date on each release. :)

--
maks