Re: sorry to ask off list, but I was trying to not add flames to the fire

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 10:55:21PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 21:43:13 +0200
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > Steve, i believe we are going to face a problem which needs to be
> > discussed, and that is that neither yaird nor initramfs do currently
> > allow for 2.4->2.6.12+ migration path.
>
> Are you sure?
>
> The problem with yaird is (as I understand it) that sysfs is needed at
> image build time, and sysfs does not exist in 2.4 kernels.

Indeed. Thus we need a 2.4->2.6 upgrade path for the yaird way, or at least
some documentation.

> Why would upgrades from 2.4 fail using initramfs-tools?

No idea, haven't looked at initramfs in details.

> And please use its proper name to avoid further confusion: the package
> maintained by Jeff Bailey is "initramfs-tools" - the name "initramfs"
> is the name of the image created by either initramfs-tools or yaird.

Yeah, i try to do, but don't manage to do it always :)

BTW, what do you think about the idea of adding a pair of options to yaird
which would return true if the kernel version is supported ?

Something like :

   mkinitrd.yaird --supported-target-version 2.6.12-powerpc --supported-host-version 2.6.8-powerpc

this way we can have kernel-package scan the list of installed initrd
generating tools for those that may work, and then try them out depending on
priority et by the user or the debian kernel team ?

On another note, the yaird document you mentioned, which was a very nice read
on the train yesterday :), mentioned adding custom binaries and scripts to the
generated initrd. Is this something which you can do ? It could be used to
generate custom initrds for rescue or other kind of management purpose (i plan
to use it with partimage for example).