Apparent libata sata_sil bug

I have been experiencing a problem with my SATA hard drive during the
sarge boot sequence. I'm working on a laptop and I have the hard drive,
a 200GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 (6B200M0), connected to a PCMCIA Silicon
Image Sil 3112 SATALink Controller. My current kernel version is 2.6.8.
The boot sequence recognizes the drive correctly, but freezes at the
following point:

SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: <3>ata2: command 0x25 timeout, stat 0x50 host_stat 0x4

A quick search through the debian mailing list archives returned this
email from a user with a VERY similar problem (the only difference is
the hard drive brand, his was a Seagate and mine is a Maxtor).
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/08/msg00340.html

I'd be thankful if someone could tell where to file this bug or if there
is a known fix for this.

Sincerely,
João Pinheiro