Re: 2.6.12-1-686-smp kernel crash

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:01:28AM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> Horms wrote:
>
> >What exactly happens when you experience a crash?
> >

> I have run X with the fbdev driver instead of ati or radeon for a few
> minutes, and it didn't crash. A few minutes may be too few, but if I use
> the ati or radeon drivers, it crashes quite reliably in under a minute,
> if I'm actually using X.
>
> Using the ati (radeon) driver, it crashed once when I switched desktops
> (ctrl+alt+right, Gnome with metacity), while repainting the windows. It
> crashed another time while I was just staying in my first desktop,
> typing in a terminal, pressed tab for autocompletion, it crashed during
> pc speaker beep (the beep didn't stop).
>
> When it crashes, everything is frozen, the mouse cursor doesn't move,
> etc etc. The computer doesn't answer pings.
>
> The second crash was with the newer kernel in testing as well
> (2.6.12-10). I'm now back on 2.6.11-1-686-smp.
>
> Still nothing in kern.log.
>
> What else should I experiment with? A non-smp kernel, or a non-686 kernel?

So in a nutshell DRI is broken for you on 2.6.12 but not 2.6.11.
That definately sounds like a regression to me. We just uploaded 2.6.13,
but so you could try fishing that out of the new queue and trying that,
but even 2.6.13 is a touch old, 2.6.14 is iminent as I understand.

If you are up for doing your own compiles and getting your hands dirty,
grab the latest snapshot release from kernel.org.

And if you can't get any love, I think the best thing is
to contact upstream, from the Maintainers file I believe the contacts
are David Airlie <airlied@linux.ie> and CC ri-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

Its probably a good idea CC debian-kernel@lists.debian.org as well,
incase something Debian-specific comes up.

--
Horms