Re: 2.6.12-1-686-smp kernel crash

Horms wrote:

What exactly happens when you experience a crash?
I have run X with the fbdev driver instead of ati or radeon for a few minutes, and it didn't crash. A few minutes may be too few, but if I use the ati or radeon drivers, it crashes quite reliably in under a minute, if I'm actually using X.

Using the ati (radeon) driver, it crashed once when I switched desktops (ctrl+alt+right, Gnome with metacity), while repainting the windows. It crashed another time while I was just staying in my first desktop, typing in a terminal, pressed tab for autocompletion, it crashed during pc speaker beep (the beep didn't stop).

When it crashes, everything is frozen, the mouse cursor doesn't move, etc etc. The computer doesn't answer pings.

The second crash was with the newer kernel in testing as well (2.6.12-10). I'm now back on 2.6.11-1-686-smp.

Still nothing in kern.log.

What else should I experiment with? A non-smp kernel, or a non-686 kernel?

Thanks,
Hugo

--
Jabber: hugovdm@jabber.org